Friday, May 23, 2008

Today's the Day

I'm kind of irritated. Last night, I must have played my cousin Matthew in five games of chess, and I only won one of them. And after all of my reading, it came down to the simple fact that my efforts did me no good. I can't improve in a matter of days by loading my head with principles. Practice is the only way, and I just didn't get enough practice.
I'm in this for the win, not the fun. I'm in this to create works of art in my games, and it just isn't happening. It's very irritating.
And today I'll be holding a simul. I have to find something before then to clear my head, so that I can focus on the games and the games alone.
All I know is, in this coming week before the tournament, I have to practice like crazy against my computer and against Matthew. Practice makes perfect, right? Right.
Everyone loves an underdog.
More news after the simul!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Even if you're not in it for fun, as you say, you will probably need to relax a bit to focus clearly on your goal. Good luck!