Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tournament Prep



Chess, chess, chess.
This is what I call some serious chess stress. I need to train my team for the tournament on May 31st in Brooklyn, and I can only do it for an hour and a half every Friday. Which means I have a grand total of three hours left to get them all in good enough shape to tear down the competition.
This is ridiculous. And what we need to focus on, instead of how to conduct a proper attack, or what theory suggests for the Sicilian Defense, is how to write moves (since everybody needs to keep notation for their tournament games).
What to do? What to do?
Well, my brother suggested last night that, you know what? They're all making their own moves. I can't help them. I can only help myself win this tournament to give our school a good name. So this Friday, I'm holding a simultaneous exhibition against my entire chess club (for those that don't know, a simultaneous exhibition is where one player engages several opponents at once, walking from table to table and making a single move at a time). It will be a trial. I'm making sure to have enough money for three Red Bulls that day.
And next Friday, I'm going to get some batteries for the clocks we have in club and set up some timed games, to see if everyone's got what it takes to record the game while under pressure from the timer.
Wish me luck! These next two Fridays are only a taste of the pressure I'll be under on the 31st!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm so proud of you, brother! Good luck!! I love you!!