Monday, September 1, 2008

Takeoff.

I feel set on a road without guidance.
Circa 2004, I began taking bass lessons at the Music Zoo here in New York. The first time I met my teacher, Anders, I didn't know what to think of him. He was kind of crazy("aren't we all, though?" I had corrected myself), but I soon saw that I had a lot to learn from him musically. I progressed under his tutelage, and discovered more than a teacher behind that curtain of purposely disarrayed hair. We had grown on each other. I had found a friend in this man who, when he could see I was down, gave advice and consolation that I could trust; who shared the joy of my good days; who cracked jokes to soften my serious edge; who gave my fingers wings.
There were days, of course, where Anders couldn't make it to the Zoo, and I was assigned to other teachers there. I never worked as well with them. It always seemed for both parties involved to be an "alright, let's get this over with so I can leave" thing.
On the long car ride back from Chicago, I anticipated telling Anders during our next session about my performance at Pinocchio's; to show him what I'd recorded on my new loop pedal; to throw high fives and laugh and walk out feeling that I'd done him proud. But when I unpacked the car and got on the computer, I saw that Anders had sent me a message. I was shocked and tremendously disappointed to read that he'd left the Zoo behind.
It seems I should do the same.

Here's to the good times, making music in that claustrophobic little room. They'll be sorely missed.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

It's always sad to say goodbye to a favorite teacher. I hope you can find someone whose company you enjoy and who can nurture and challenge your talent in new ways!

Orlando said...

One of the many certainties in life is that people come --- and people go. There are no accidents. They come and they go for very real reasons. God is the Great Conductor behind all these comings and goings. The point is, Anders added some measure of value to your life; he left with you with something that you'll carry with you for the rest of your life. Your life was made all the better for your association with him. That is well. "Parting," as Shakespeare so well put it, can be "such great sorrow." But, as the movie "Shadowlands" rightly observed about "parting" --- "the pain now ... was part of the happiness then."
Anders added much to your life - not the least of which was playing a vital role in your growing process --- not simply as a musician, but because this experience has served to teach you that in life there are necessary losses. You, too, will come into people's lives. And you will leave them as well. Be it so, make every effort to bring or add value to the lives of those who God has brought you into contact with. That, my son, is your human mandate. Never forget it. Leave people with the certainty that their lives were made all the better for having had you in their lives - if only for a season!
Love.