Monday, August 4, 2008

Leaving You Behind

Yesterday
I thought I saw your face
Behind a window in Bay Terrace
Where we first met
And I don't know why
I just stopped and sighed
It's been like this every day
In the six months since you left

I dreamt today
Of a different place
As I sat on the rocks at Fort Totten
Where we used to go
And I watched the sun
Sink below the horizon
With a record of us beside me
All the pages I wrote

I think back and remember
My brother's words
How all these things were mine
Before they were yours

So I pick up the leather-bound memories
And throw them into the shifting tide
I'm leaving you behind

This same old town
It holds me down
With all these shadows of you
That make my footsteps slow
So I pack my things
I'm ready to spread my wings
I think I'll be better off
In the city of Chicago

Next time you go down to Fort Totten
To reflect on you and me
When you sit out on the rocks
I hope you see

The hundred pages of memories
I scattered on the shifting tide
To show that I'm leaving you behind

No comments: