Saturday, March 1, 2008

Chinese Takeout

is probably the second best piece of fiction i've ever read.
it's the story of a starving artist who struggles, through scandalous breakups and near-bankruptcy, to make a name for himself, driven onward by his own series of symbolic paintings, his best work, long lost to the gallery-goers of new york city. along the way, he shows a doomed drug addict how to love, and the story closes with some of his amazing personal revelations.
arthur nersesian's writing never ceases to satisfy my appetite.

my personal soundtrack for the book:

"my sundown" -- jimmy eat world
"the moment i said it" -- imogen heap
"23" -- jimmy eat world
"she paints me blue" -- something corporate
"transatlanticism" -- death cab for cutie
"drugs or me" -- jimmy eat world

No comments: