Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Excerpt from "A Feeling Like Home"

Me and Megan were hanging out under the gazebo on North Park's campus, both of us hiding from the rain.
Megan turned to me with this weird look. "Are you okay?" she asked.
I thought for a second before I nodded.
"Are you sure?"
I sighed. "No."
"That's what I thought." She sat down, and I sat down next to her. Rain was kind of hitting the back of my head, but I didn't care.
After a minute of it being quiet, I just said, "I'm feeling like Jon."
Megan laughed. "That can't be good."
"I mean, you know how he says nothing feels like home? How it feels as if there's no place to really belong?"
"Yeah."
"That's where I'm at right now."
Megan watched me for a while, just the two of us sitting there. "Is it Laura?"
"No," I spat. "I don't give a damn about her."
"You loved her."
"It was pointless! She was just leading me on!"
She quieted down, letting the rain fall, and I started getting a hold of myself.
"So you don't feel at home with your friends?" she asked eventually. She had her eyes on the floor, and I noticed that her hair was getting wet.
"It just feels like we're all out of place."
"Even when we're laughing it up and having fun?"
"Yes! Even then!"
She was watching me again, and I had to look away. "Sam?" She pulled my eyes to hers. "I'm just trying to help you here. You know that, right?"
"Yeah." It kind of hurt, realizing that I wanted her help more than anything else but wasn't accepting it. I think it showed.
That's when she kissed me.
And I kissed her back, because I didn't know what else to do, and this girl actually cared about me, and because right then I didn't want anything else than to be with her.
And then something in the back of my head thought, Oh, crap, Danny's going to kill me.
Something else said, Oh well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is this you? I want to read whatever this came from.