Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My Life as a Short Short Story

today in spanish class i was just really thirsty, so i asked ms. castro if i could get a drink of water and she let me go to the fountain. On my way, passing the guidance office, I heard my name being called and wondered for a second if i was nuts.
then i saw melissa sitting there with a notebook in her lap.
"hey," i said, slipping inside.
"hey. what's up?"
there wasn't really much to say, because it was all the same old stuff for me at the moment. "you know...things. i was just looking for a water fountain that works."
"the one by the labs is best. the water's colder there and the stream goes higher." she swept her hand in a high arc to demonstrate.
"okay. awesome. thanks."
we both went quiet for a second, and i was about to leave, but then in this hushed voice she asked me, "do they have you on meds for the...?"
i shrugged. "yeah. some brand name stuff."
"does it help?"
"a little, i guess. it's just that when i'm on it, i can't write."
"i know the feeling. i mean, come on, man, you remember how i was talking with you the other day; it was genius, pontifically amazing. and now that i'm sitting here, with my notebook, ready to write...i've got nothing."
"ouch."
"i know." she sighed.
i hesitated, because i hadn't seen her in so long it seemed like forever, but eventually i admitted, "well, i should probably get going. i need some water."
"okay." she stood up and gave me a hug. "see you, man."
"take it easy."
after hunting the fountain melissa had mentioned and taking several gulps of cold, high-streaming water, i headed back to spanish, where everyone was up and dancing for some reason.
i just sat down and wrote.

No comments: