Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Another Excerpt from "A Feeling Like Home"

Me and Jon were at Wannabe Beach -- at least that's what we called it anyway, because nobody goes there during the summer or ever -- and we, at 11:15 p.m., were alone. We smoked cigarettes and talked about life and things in general, and he gave me a cigarette case for my birthday, and we filled it up, and as I put it away I laughed and said, "God, I feel like a Londonite or something." Then we walked out by the lighthouse and screamed at the top of our lungs, leaning over the railing so that water was right underneath us, just for fun. It felt like that scene from Garden State.
But summer was coming to an end, and I just wished I could miss the month of September altogether. It reminded me of the days before I heard of Damien Rice, and when Green Day was still good, when I would listen to "Wake Me Up When September Ends" over and over, endlessly.
I could have gone for that song right then, but Jon's headphones were blaring "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap.
That worked too, I guess.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cigarettes? eww. bleh. gag.

and.. say what?