Thursday, April 3, 2008

Yet Another Excerpt from "A Feeling Like Home"

We were all riding to the beach: Danny and Chris in the front, and me and Megan in the back. Jon was sitting between me and Megan, because I had already told him what happened.
All of us in the backseat were tense. Jon was now an accessory to a crime: I had kissed the girl Danny had had his eyes on for years. We all knew that when Danny found out he would flip. So we all kept quiet to keep it from getting in the open.
That's when Chris started to laugh. "C'mon, guys, am I driving around dead bodies or something? Show me that you're alive!"
"I'm alive," I said.
"I'm alive," Jon added.
"I'm alive," Megan finished.
We all laughed, but Chris only offered a chuckle. "Doesn't sound much like it."

Once we got to the beach, we had to make up for the car ride and shake off whatever suspicions Danny or Chris might have had.
Chris busted out the Frisbee and next minute, we were cracking jokes and tossing it around -- most of the time missing horribly, but hey, we were having a good time. This was what life was about.
I tried to keep from making eye contact with Megan, but we still managed to get a few throws back and forth. And I guess as it was all happening I realized, just by the way I was watching her smile and laugh, and the way she would close her eyes when she was cracking up -- I thought that was adorable -- I guess I just realized right then that I had really liked her since the first time I saw her, and that now it was getting to be something more by the minute.
"Sam!"
Thunk.
The Frisbee fell to the sand. I picked it up and tossed it to Jon, who looked worried,. I laughed to try and cover up what had just happened, but Danny wasn't buying it. "What's up?" he called.
"Nothing, man." I shook my head. "Just got lost in thought for a sec."
"About Megan?"
Jesus. I had been watching her that whole time? I thought fast. "Yeah, I was just remembering that night in your backyard when we were all lying back and watching the sky. You remember what she said about the stars?"
"Yeah," Megan chimed in. "I was just quoting The Perks of Being a Wallflower."
"Well, it was a good line." I caught the Frisbee and tossed it to Danny, and he chucked it aside.
"We need to talk," he said, and I knew from the look on his face that I was screwed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice.

i want to know what happens next now :P